Compiling code from multiple folders

John Savage JSavage at data-mate.com
Fri May 23 19:17:40 BST 2003

If I have the following directory structure:

Code
    Project1
        main.cpp
    Common
        Logging.h
        Logging.cpp

and I want to use KDevelop to compile a project consisting of main.cpp,
Logging.h and Logging.cpp, how do I go about doing it? Using CVS is not
an option. Nor is upgrading KDevelop (I'm using 2.1).

I have tried using ln to link Logging.* into the Project1 folder. This
works, but becomes unmanageable when the Common folder contains hundreds
of files (as it does in our current real project). I then tried using ln
-s to create a symbolic link to Common folder from within the Project1
folder. I can add the files to the project ok, but only a MakeFile.am is
created and I can't make the project at all. It complains about 'no rule
to make target all' for the Common static library.

I've been at this days and tried everything I can think of, along with
googling for every possible keyword I could think that might relate to
this problem, all with no success. Any help or pointers would be
appreciated.

Thanks,
John

  _____

John Savage <mailto:jsavage at data-mate.com>
Software Engineer DataMate Global Communications
Tel: +1 818 487 3900 ext105
  _____