Namespaces & Structure in Class Viewer

Michael dragon at panix.com
Thu Mar 20 05:54:08 GMT 2003

Kdevelop 2.1.3

I discovered this by accident.

Normally I see this
Classes
	<my classes>
Globals
	Variables
	Functions
	Structures
	Namespaces

By Accident I right clicked on Namespaces and was given the option New files, New classes
I choose New classes. Thinking that I would be given the option to created a class in a C++ namespace. The
next think I know is that I am being asked by kdevelop if I want to create a static or dynamic library. So I choose
static. What happen next was this
Classes
	Globals
		Namespaces
			<new classes>
	<my classes>
Globals
	Variables
	Functions
	Structures
	Namespaces

<new classes> are now in the sub directory name Namespaces and even more interestingly is that they compiled into
something named "libNamespaces.la" What is this!!???

I did an similar thing with Structures, but this time I selected dynamic library and was given the option to give
the library a name. I entered the name MyName and I ended up with this
Classes
	Globals
		Namespaces
			<new classes>
		Structures
			<new classes 2>

	<my classes>
Globals
	Variables
	Functions
	Structures
	Namespaces

and "libMyName.la"

If this is a dynamic library why does it have the same file extension as the static library in Namespaces...

Could some please explain what is going on here and  where can I find the documentation on this?

Thanks