Kdevelop problems with debugging

Evil Kosh evil_kosh_uk at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Mar 3 21:47:01 GMT 2003

Hi,

I'm having a little trouble debugging an application, I'll tell you what
happens, hopefully someone will know why this happens.

I put a breakpoint, I run the program and do something that comes across
that breakpoint at which point the debugger comes in and lets me do
things like step in/out.

I decide to step over a function and the debugger, instead of putting me
on the next available source code line, puts me into the creation of an
ifstream object (which is what the next line does, opens a file like
this)

std::ifstream stream(m_filename.c_str());

But err, I didnt want to go INTO that method, I simply wanted to step
over the current line of code I was viewing.

So thats the first thing, this is obviously incorrect behaviour from a
user point of view, regardless of what the technology is capable of
doing.  It should put me ON that line, not half way within creating that
object.

Second thing is, I step out and instead of putting me at the next line
of code, I find myself in the methods PARENT method.  So instead of
stepping out of just the method I was in (the ifstream constructor I
assume) and back into the method I was in before, it takes me to that
methods parent instead.

Very odd.  I thought gdb was a mature debugging environment, but it
seems like it's very basic and buggy.  (this is not supposed to be a
flame, but it's not happened to me before in msvc, so I'm comparing
here).

Anyone know why this behaviour occurs and whether after about 10 years
of development, it'll actually get fixed by anyone?  OR is this just
me?  If it's me, I'll put my hands up and admit it.

thanks

kosh

--
Evil Kosh <evil_kosh_uk at yahoo.co.uk>