AW: Profiling

Tarjei Knapstad tarjeik at chemcon.no
Thu Jun 12 15:10:25 BST 2003

On Thu, 2003-06-12 at 14:16, Klein, Bernhard wrote:
> Yeap, I see the -pg command. I got no warnings or errors, but if I start the
> programm no profiling file will be created :-(
>
> I wrote a little program ( only main and one function ) - Also, I got no
> profiling file.
>
> There is something wrong :-(

Definetly, but I really can't put my finger on what it could be...

Anyway, if you're just out to do profiling (i.e. not use the later
versions of gcc's profile based optimizations), then I'd highly suggest
you go with Valgrinds 'cachegrind' together with KCachegrind for
analysis. I find it far easier to get something meaningful out of
cachegrind as opposed to gprof. Links:

http://devel-home.kde.org/~sewardj/
http://kcachegrind.sourceforge.net/

Regards,