Gideon on RH8.0 Unuseable

Caleb Tennis caleb at aei-tech.com
Sat Jan 4 23:41:53 GMT 2003

You're not alone in experiencing these crashes.  From the other end of the
spectrum, I install from the sources, and I almost never have a crash.  In
fact, I've been using Gideon for development now for many months and have
been very pleased with how stable it is.

There will be another alpha (#3) release within the next few days and
hopefully packages will be made available shortly after that.  I am going to
request that the packagers make the packages for the alpha/beta releases
with debug options on so crash feedback is valuable to us.

In the meantime, if you get a crash, report a backtrace of it as that is
very helpful.  If it's a matter of "start the program, immediate crash, no
pertinent information in backtrace" then the problem is probably beyond
gideon - something is wrong in the packaging or the system.

We've fixed a ton of bugs since the last "release", so hopefully an upgrade
will solve a lot of these problems.

Caleb