Libraries/headers feature request

Paul Surgeon surgptr at pop.co.za
Fri Apr 18 17:01:40 BST 2003

I've been trying to convert my existing SDL/OpenGL/C++ project into a KDevelop
project.

So far I have not managed to succeed in getting the SDL and OpenGL libraries
into my project. I could take the easy way out and just add them to the
compiler and linker options in KDevelop but that defeats the whole point of
autoconf and automake.

The whole point in using autoconf and automake is to allow portability and
hardcoding library and header paths into a KDevelop project is a no-no since
the next person who tries to work with the project may have installed the
libraries and headers elsewhere on his/her system.

I would really like to see KDevelop have a feature where is can automatically
create the automake and autoconf macros in the acinclude.m4/acinclude.m4.in
and configure.in/configure.in.in files by selecting the libraries and headers
from a list.

The list of headers and libraries must be built from what is installed on the
system and MUST NOT be a static list. The list building can be a once off
process that happens during the setup but there must be an option to rebuild
the list in case someone adds a library to their system.

As a developer I really don't have the time to mess around with autoconf and
automake. In fact I really don't even want to know what's inside the makefile
either. All I want to do is write my code add the libraries and headers to my
project and press the compile/build button.  :-)

Please don't take this as a negative critism - KDevelop is great - it's just
that I really think it should be easier like C++ Builder or Delphi.

Keep up the good work.
Paul Surgeon