Hello, newbie here

Dirk Broer dbroer at matricsrfid.com
Tue Oct 15 15:10:29 BST 2002

> I already develop web sites using HTML/CSS/Javascript/PHP/MySQL (and
> knows lotsa Flash ActionScript)

Boy do you have a lot to unlearn :)

A popular book for learning C++ is Dietel and Deitel's "C++ How to Program" (I
think that's the title).  Personally I like their writting style, an easy
read.  If you are up on you CS lingo, you can try Stroustrup's own book "The
C++ Programming Language" (Stroustrup is the creater of C++).  I just warn
that its not the easiest read, but very precise.  I have and use Stroustrup's
book but I came in to C++ knowing C very well and Ada and the terms and
concepts were very familiar.  Deitel's book I think would be better to learn
from with plenty of 'gotchas' mentioned clearly separated from the main text.

If you want to build windows type software, there are a couple of form
builders out there.  I would start with kde.org and follow the developer
links.  Of course there is also Amazon for books on KDE development or Qt
development.  I write server type software and we use HTML interface to
manage so I'm not any help there.  About one zillion books on Linux
development in general and a few thousand on C and C++ Linux/Unix
development.  A local store had a book on KDE development but I resisted so
far - so I know they exist.

As I recall, the licensing of Qt is rather steep - cheaper to run/develope MS
Windows.... (are you listening trolltech?)

The closest thing to a C++ WYSIWYG developement has got to be Borland Builder
for MS Windows.  I was reminded of Visual Basic development (oh god help me)

Just one hint, C and C++ are very precise programming languages.  You aren't
worried about tabs etc and other niceties, you are concerned about exactly
how things are arranged in memory and how the stack is used.  Look up in your
references the difference between a 'declaration' and a 'definition'
(somethings can be both a declaration and a definition BTW) and you will
start to get the idea.

Dirk