Red Hat bugs...

Falk Brettschneider falk.brettschneider at gmx.de
Sun Nov 3 12:06:11 GMT 2002

Hi!

> I'm trying to use KDevelop on Red Hat and running into about the same
> bug everybody else is.
The bug with jump-to-error on RedHat 8.0 has been fixed in cvs by me on the
31th.

KDE-3.0.5 will be tagged on Monday by Dirk Müller.
I stepped KDevelop-2.1.x to version 2.1.4 on the KDE_2_2_BRANCH.
Dirk is informed to also tag this branch for the new KDE release.
If everything will go OK, we'll get the new KDevelop RPM packages for KDE-3
along with KDE-3.0.5 in the near future. The code works with KDE-2 as well
but packaging will be only for KDE-3.

> So I figured the weekend is coming up and how hard can it be and
> grabbed the KDE_2_2_BRANCH
> according to the instructions on the web site. It is building now.
>
> I don't want to deploy it over my existing stuff. Instead I'd like to
> run it where it is built.
> I figure I'll verify that the problems happen with the
> built-from-source version as well as the
> installed-from-RPM-during-upgrade version and then proceed to use the
> installed version to debug
> the problem in the built-from-source version, using one of my own
> projects with a judiciously
> inserted bug as the guinea pig.
>
> 1. How do I run the new KDevelop from its own tree? Is it as simple as
> going to the executable
>     directory and executing it or do I have to set some environment
> variables?
KDevelop-2.1.x consists of the binary, ressource files (pictures etc.) and
some dynamic libs (.so). To start the executable from the source tree
shouldn't be the problem, but you should take care which .so files are found first.
The ones from the sources are distributed all over the directories. Maybe
'make install' your self-compiled KDevelop to another place than the one from the
RPMs (using --prefix=/another/dir in ./configure), and set LD_LIBRARY_PATH
in a way that those .so files are found first.

> 2. Can I debug in the way I've outlined? Can I use one KDevelop to
> debug another as it operates
>     on my own code?
Debugging kdevelop by itself can be a problem when there are things that are
called through KProcess. Somehow KProcess fails to start when it is called
from within gdb. :-(
So usually you can't use gdb to find out KDevelop problems with the build
mechanisms.

> Thanks,
>
> Ralph
>

> -