Commercial Use of KDevelop

Tarjei Knapstad tarjeik at chemcon.no
Thu Mar 7 16:57:23 GMT 2002

On Wed, 6 Mar 2002, August Hörandl wrote:

> Tarjei Knapstad wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 6 Mar 2002, August Hörandl wrote:
> > > maybe we should add this to the FAQ or to the README
> > >
> > Well, in my opinion this is general copyright/copyleft stuff which is
> > covered in detail elsewhere (like
> > http://www.gnu.org/licenses/licenses.html) so I don't really agree that it
> > belongs in the KDevelop FAQ.
>
> i disagree: kdevelop "writes" code and/or supplies templates - if this
> templates are under the gpl no one can use it with non gpl software
> because it would be derived work

I've made my own templates that include both our companys copyright notice
and a skeleton for a new class. I delete the empty class that is generated
by "New class" and substitute the correct name and set the correct
namespace into my own skeleton, so this doesn't apply to me in any case.

It's hard to draw the line her though. I've written elisp functions for
emacs that inserts class templates. If functions like these were supplied
with emacs, and I used them to create empty classes, would that make the
empty classes derived work?

> so it should be written somewhere that the generated code isn't
> protected
> by the gpl - like my example with bison:
>
> /* As a special exception, when this file is copied by Bison into a
>    Bison output file, you may use that output file without restriction.
>    This special exception was added by the Free Software Foundation
>    in version 1.24 of Bison.  */

This becomes a bit different, as there is actual code generation here.
When creating a class in KDevelop, I supply the name for the class, which
really means that I created all the code except parentheses and braces.
There is no generated code which does not originate from my selection of a
name for the class (ctors and dtors contain no code) which leads me
to think I'm only deriving from my own work.

In KDevelops case it just boils down to nitty-gritty for the lawyers like
"is an empty constructor generated code or not". I believe it would never
hold up in court. Bison however, actually generates code.

My $0.02 :)

--
Tarjei Knapstad