Dinamic link?

Oliver Eichler oliver.eichler at dspsolutions.de
Wed Aug 28 15:56:35 BST 2002

On Wednesday 28 August 2002 16:12, you wrote:
> El Mié 28 Ago 2002 10:03 AM, escribió:
> > something you want. However it is agreed that using some plugin technique
> > is more apropiate these days.
>
> I dont want to make an ugly/heavy question but... where can I find
> information about this "some plugin techniques". I'm newbie in Linux
> programming (windows too :)

I still try to find a good one on my own :( The QT lib has several special
purpose interfaces. But no generic interface. KDE's kparts is a quite nice
interface however not portable. The new Kdevelop (gideon) makes heavy use of
plugins. Surely a good starting point to investigate. I haven't had the time
to dig too deep into this, sofar.

The fastest way is to load libs at runtime (use dlopen on Linux). Each lib has
a well defined interface (header file, glue code to load). You could define a
common interface with basic functions to retrieve information about
additional functions. That's it. Exchanging data will be a bit more of a
fuzz. To make this portable is a real challenge. :)

oliver