Dinamic link?

Oliver Eichler oliver.eichler at dspsolutions.de
Wed Aug 28 15:03:57 BST 2002

On Wednesday 28 August 2002 16:23, you wrote:
> Hello Israel,
>
> IF> There  is  another  way  to  compile/use  shared  object in Linux?
> IF> something  like the window's LoadLibrary function or similar? best
> IF> regards
>
> LoadLibrary function designer must be sadly executed. Here is why:

Together with people saying so ;)

> 1. It does not check arguments' types.
correct

> 2. It does not support C++ (most important, IMHO).
There are several articles about the Linux loader (dlopen) describing how to
load classes.

> 3. It can be replaced by running an executable if you want to build a
>    program that decides dynamically which modules are loaded.
Hu?

The most important reason to load a library at run-time is to gain binary
independence. As long as I do not change the API of the older functions I can
do what ever I want without having to recompile and breaking old binaries.
You do not want to change/add one single thing and make your customer to
recompile all. You see: loading libraries at run-time is something you want.
However it is agreed that using some plugin technique is more apropiate these
days. But it does not justify execution ;) So be a nice boy and let people do
things the way they prefere.

oliver