Wish list & annoyances

Maciej Pilichowski macias at bp.com.pl
Mon Aug 12 08:48:57 BST 2002

Hello there,

  First of all please don't kill me if the format of this mail is invalid,
or sth like that because I have no idea how I should write my
remarks and I din't find any info on webpage.

  So, I really enjoy KDevelop 2.1 /with KDE engine 3.0, IceWM 1.2,
SuSE 7.0, gcc 3.1, QT 3.0.3/ but I find some problems. I use
KDevelop to work on my project in C++ which I prepared manually
/makefile for example/ and I get it into KDevelop. I use tab page
view mode.

Problems:
* when I choose on "files view" file to remove from disk default
answer should be "no", it is to easy to remove file /yes, I remove
some by mistake :-))/

* the mdi-taskbar should be invisibile by default. Now I start
KDevelop, the checkbox of "mdi-taskbar" is OFF but it is visible so
I check it on /it is still visible/, I check it off  and now it disapears

* strange thing, I have written my makefile in this way:

$(OBJDIR)/Standardy.o: source/podstawy/Standardy.cpp \
          source/podstawy/Standardy.h
 $(CC) `pkg-config --cflags gtk+-2.0` $(CFLAGS) -c
$(<D)/$(*F).cpp -o $(@D)/$(@F)

When I run make from KDevelop all macros are ok except this:
$(*F)

I get null string, and file to compile look like this:

source/podstawy/.cpp

When I run xterm and type "make" everything is ok.

* I cannot remove default shortcuts permanently. I can clear them
in one session, save, when I quit Kdevelop and start it again they
are all set back.
But I can change them to other values! It is just impossible to clear
them.

* when I close file by shortcut it is very often that I get view of
another file but there is no cursor /visually/ and I cannot place it for
example by clicking mouse. Only way is to "go to line" and then I
can see it.

* the same thing but very rare -- instead of view of next file I get
empty tab page -- there is only name of it on it, but nothing else /it
is VERY rare; and I cannot track it down when exactly it happens/

Ok, and now WISH LIST:

* icons of "disk" on tab pages when you modify file /like in Quanta/

* optional autosave of all files before running make

* jumping from header file from method declaration to source file to
id defintion -- now I can swithc between to windows, but it would by
nice if KDevelop finds methods for me

* methods skeleton definition make -- sth like in Delphi, when you
choose to make body of method KDevelop would switch to source
file and put empty method

* when I find or search and I switch to another file the dialog box
should remember the values, so I won't type it again

* optionally tab page mode could be modified in this way -- if you
open header file and then source file /of THIS header/ the file
should be opened in place of header file. Of course two files are
opened but visible is only one -- you can switch between them but
in one window. Of course user can choose mode -- classic or this,
with sub-documents or anything you name it.

The purpose of this is that instead of such list of windows:
file1.h | file1.cpp | file2.h | file2.cpp...

when switching next-previous window is really slow and annoying it
will be two times less tabpages and when you get to desired file
you can switch internally what you want to edit -- header part or
source.

Ok, that's all. I hope my English was good enough to understand
me.

have a nice day
bye
--
Maciej "MACiAS" Pilichowski, Bank Pocztowy S.A. (DDI/WPP)
priv web site -- http://www.torun.pdi.net/~macias/

 kupie Komputer 3/86 oraz The Freeman "Falsz politycznych frazesow"