depcomp missing with Gideon, and other problems

Gareth Clay g.clay at warwick.ac.uk
Mon Aug 5 17:58:30 BST 2002

Hi there,

I'm just starting out using Gideon - I have to say it's looking great!
This will be a fantastic tool when it's done :) I hope my feedback will
help the development team.

I used the New Project wizard to create a normal, console C++ app ("hello
world"). Then after clicking the build project button (and being told that
automake and friends should be run), I ran into problems. I get this
error:

 cd /home/gareth/test && make -f Makefile.cvs
 aclocal
 autoheader
 WARNING: Using auxiliary files such as `acconfig.h', `config.h.bot'
 WARNING: and `config.h.top', to define templates for `config.h.in'
 WARNING: is deprecated and discouraged.

 WARNING: Using the third argument of `AC_DEFINE' and
 WARNING: `AC_DEFINE_UNQUOTED' allows to define a template without
 WARNING: `acconfig.h':

 WARNING: AC_DEFINE([NEED_MAIN], 1,
 WARNING: [Define if a function `main' is needed.])

 WARNING: More sophisticated templates can also be produced, see the
 WARNING: documentation.
 autoheader: `config.h.in' is unchanged
 automake
 src/Makefile.am: required file `./depcomp' not found
 make: *** [all] Error 1
 *** Exited with status: 2 ***

It seems like depcomp is not being created, which is killing automake. I
spoke to someone on IRC who's not having this problem, and we're wondering
if it's to do with automake versions. I'm using these development tool
versions:

autoconf 2.53
automake 1.6.3 (problem also occurs with 1.6.2)
make 3.79.1

The guy I spoke to is using earlier versions (mine are bang up to date).

As for my KDE and QT versions:
qt 3.0.5
kde 3.0.2

I'm using Gideon that I compiled from CVS this morning (GMT). Speaking of
the CVS repository, are there some kdex.dtd files missing from
kdevelop/doc/kdevelop/dtd, kdevelop/doc/kdearch/dtd and
kdevelop/doc/kde2book/dtd? The sources won't compile without them (I've
been copying the file in from my KDE installation manually to get it to
compile)

Some other, far more minor problems I ran into are:
* The text for yellow bullet point messages is white and so invisible on
  the messages window (although I think the very first message had black
  text, then it switched to white)
* The text for blue bullet points is such a pale blue it is difficult to
  read
* The scrollbar in the messages window can be partially hidden if the
  window is below a certain size, making it unusable. It needs to scale
  with the window size properly.

I hope this report helps you - keep up the great work! Can't wait for the
final release :)

Cheers,
Gareth