windows version, form builders

Iztok Kobal iztok.kobal at sysen.si
Fri Apr 26 08:23:02 BST 2002

esp5 at rama.comp.pge.com wrote:

>On Thu, Apr 25, 2002 at 12:55:39PM -0700, Roland Krause wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>i am currently working on a very similar project. It has just started.
>>So here is what I have.
>>
>>SolarisX86:
>>IDE: KDevelop2.1 on KDE-3,
>>Compiler: gcc-2.95.3, gdb-5.1, automake, autoconf, libtool
>>Project: KDevelop using kdevprj
>>UI toolkit: Qt,
>>Repository: cvs with cervisia
>>
>>Windows98:
>>IDE: Visual Studio,
>>Compiler: VC++ 6.0 SP5
>>Project: Visual Studio .dsp files
>>UI toolkit: Qt,
>>Repository: cvs with wincvs
>>

>Argh. I was hoping to avoid Visual Studio, and definitely hoping to avoid
>VC++...
>
>With the two C++ compilers, doesn't it become a *major* pain to support the
>differences between the two (tons of #ifdefs, etc)?  Especially if there are
>developers on each platform?

Here you should make some basic, I call it, adapter headers with types,
#whatevers etc. which should be used all over the project. I am working
on a big Linux/WIN32 project with tons of subprojects (we call the
modules) and the major problems so far are as follows:

- M$VC++ does not support      const sometype XYZ = something      in
the class declaration which is correct by C++ definition and gcc supports it
- M$VC++ does seem to have only two-pass compiler (not counting
preprocessor pass) and there are some problems regarding forward
declarations etc.etc.
- KDevelop lacks the possibility of linking (not copying) files from
other projects/places into the project tree - which I would suggest that
should be included into the TODO list of the KDevelop
- gcc does not know anything about M$ pragmas and M$VC does not know
anything about gcc's preprocessor options - so clarify what you need
before starting anything hacky !
- both of them do not know anything about other languages and mixed
programming which is shity, anyway (I have to mix Modula-2 and C++ and
makes me headaches all the time)
- standard STL for gcc is narrower than M$VC++'s - the latest standard
used by gcc seems to be the SilliconGraphic's
(http://toolbox.sgi.com/linux/src/apps/STL/) - correct me if I am wrong.
But you could copy the M$'s sources and some (two, I think) other
headers from M$'s include directory and it works for me.

The procedure for creating new project is:

- create the GNU project tree with the KDevelop because it is not so
flexible as M$VS
- somewhere in the project tree (I do it in the project root) open the
M$ subdirectory and create the M$ project tree without copying source
files - only M$VS project files

The developing from here on runs smoothly if we do not count in the
(sometimes) M$'s misinterpretation of the C++ standards.

However, to avoid M$, you can also use the WIN32 version of the gcc and
just recompile for WIN32 without special IDE. I haven't tried it because
I have M$ oriented guys in the team and they tend to work under WIN32.
Poor guys, they just do not realize that GNU life is easyer ...

Iztok :-)