windows version, form builders

Girard Henri henrigirard at yahoo.fr
Thu Apr 25 17:20:27 BST 2002

 look at kde-cygwin.org project !
regards :)
Henri
  Harald Fernengel <harry at kdevelop.org> a écrit : Hi,

On Thursday 25 April 2002 05:34, esp5 at rama.comp.pge.com wrote:
> hey all,
>
> I may be in the position in the near future to select the
> tools/technologies to be used in a large business project - and the first
> toolsets that came to my mind were g++ && QT && CVS, with an IDE like
> KDevelop. However, for the IDE to be workable:
>
> 1) it would have to be usable both under win2000 and linux, and perhaps
> solaris. The idea is that we would develop the kit for win2000, and
> gradually switch to linux if/when management makes the decision to
> switch.

KDevelop doesn't run under Windows. What you can do is install an X-Server on
Windows and start KDevelop on a fast Solarix/Linux box.

> 2) it would be highly desirable for it to support form building - ie:
> wizards to create common forms, add menus, drop down list boxes, etc,
> and to have *readable* C++ code be created in the process.

KDevelop doesn't have a form builder, but it has good support for Qt Designer.
Simply build your form and add the resulting file to the project, KDevelop
takes care of the rest.

> In addition, integrated gdb/make support would be nice, as well as being
> able to bind vim settings to the editor.

gdb/make are already supported, vim support is planned. KDevelop 3.0 makes use
of the editor-independent KTextEditor interface, so you can add whatever
editor you like. Kate is fully supported, vim and NEdit are under
development, I got them running here but we still have some focus problems.

> Now, how much of this is already in Kdevelop, how much is planned, and how
> much is contrary to Kdevelop's philosophy?

KDevelop on Windows2000 is certainly hard to achieve, you'd have to port
KDELibs to Win32 which is not a trivial task...

I cannot give you a release date, though, since this is an open source project
which totally depends on how many developers contribute code.

Best regards,
Harry

P.S.: If you are missing a feature, I think it would be cheaper to tell one of
your developers to hack it in and send a patch than to buy a vast amount of
expensive licenses ;)