short&int in kdevelop 2.0???

Tarjei Knapstad tarjeik at chemcon.no
Wed Apr 24 11:37:29 BST 2002

On Wed, 24 Apr 2002, Iztok Kobal wrote:

> Tarjei Knapstad wrote:

<snip>

> >When I use short, it's not because I "really need an integer type that can
> >hold only a short range of values", it's because I "only need a short
> >ranged integer and want to save some memory".
> >
> Here I must disaggree with Tarjei. His argument for short type usage is
> little obsolete nowadays since memory is no more problem.

As usual it all depends on the application. I work with computational
chemistry where memory usage is a very big issue indeed. In fact, memory
is the sole limitation on the size of system we can compute. Because of
this we require parallell computing and large amounts of memory. I have
for instance exhausted the memory capacity of one of our clusters, which
consists of 10 1.4GHz Athlon procs with 1 gig of ram each. That's 10GB of
RAM spent, so for me (and everyone else in scientific computing) memory
usage does very much matter :)

I sure wouldn't mind if everyone else started to care a bit about their
memory usage as well though. Wasting a users memory is a bad thing to do.
Would you for instance use an MP3 player that decompressed each song
completely into memory before it started to play? (admittedly that has
nothing to do with short vs int :) but you get the point)

<snip2>

Cheers,
--
Tarjei Knapstad