Lessons in debugging kdevelop needed

Jens Zurheide jens.zurheide at gmx.de
Sun Sep 30 18:20:31 BST 2001

Hi,

I have to admit that I have horrible problems getting kdevelop running
inside gdb.

My system:
Dual PIII
basically SuSE 7.0 (Kernel 2.2.18)
gcc 2.95.2
gdb 5.0 and gdb-2001-09-30 built from CVS today
XFree-4.1.0
QT-2.3.1
KDE 2.2.1
KDevelop 2.0.1 post release from CVS

I have currently a strange problem with kdevelop 2.01 (current CVS) related
to AA. The GrepDialog seems to hang the entire program when (after)
displaying a line with 216 characters + 38 characters for the filename.
Started with QT_XFT=0 from the console does not cause any problems.
Attaching the debugger to the hanging thread just displays a backtrace with
some frames but without any information. How do I load the symbol files
with gdb now? And yes, I have set LD_BIND_NOW=1.

If I want to debug into the problem using gdb I sometimes have success and
sometimes gdb stops somewhere after displaying the splash-screen and before
displaying the main window. The message is something thread-related.
---
QObject::connect: Incompatible sender/receiver arguments
        QSignal::x(int) --> CKDevelop::slotHelpTipOfDay(bool)
kdecore (KLibLoader): library libkonsolepart.la not found under 'module'
but under 'lib'
[New Cannot find thread 2049: invalid thread handle
(gdb) info threads
* 1 Thread 1024 (runnable)  [No stack.]
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
---
info threads at this moment leads to a core-dump of gdb... Now, let's
assume that the startup is successful. How do I interrupt kdevelop to set
additional breakpoints? I used Ctrl-C but ran into the same problems with
the threads.

Sometimes when I switch between different consoles and come back to
kdevelop it hangs. I have attached the debugger to it and found out that it
is still changing frames in the backtrace but as I still have not figured
out how to load the symbols I can not investigate this problem :-(

What is the recommended version of gdb? Are there any patches necessary?
Where can I find further information?

Many thanks for all hints,
Jens