htdig w/ 1.4 vs. 2.0 -- glimpse ?

Pascal A. Niklaus Pascal.Niklaus at unibas.ch
Sun Sep 9 23:12:08 BST 2001

>However, if your attempts still fail, I suppose it would be best to get
>glimpse (version as advised in the manual, newer ones seem to cause problems)
>for now to not mess around too long if you're in a hurry for your project.
>
>Ralf

I tried several versions of glimpse on 2 SuSE linux systems (6.0 and 7.2).
Unfortunately, I could not get glimpse running properly as I reported
earlier. The glimpse maintainers do not seem to be aware of any problem...
I now start to wonder whether anyone else can reproduce the failures I
experience? (At least I saw some similar reports in the 'forum')...

An older glimpse version worked fine, but that was with I system I now
longer have available (SuSE 7.0)

It would be very helpful if a few people could try the following and report
on their success:

# Build an index of e.g. the qt docs with glimpseindex, once with and then
without the -X option (which indicates to extract HTML titles of docs). The
index will be created in your home directory and you can delete it later on...

find /usr/local/qt/doc/html -name "*.html" | glimpseindex -X

# Try a find e.g. 'QFile' in the index using one of the following two
commands (try also to omit the -c option for each of these):

glimpse -U -c QFile
-U (starting at version 4.0B1) Interprets an index created with the -X or
the -U option in glimpseindex. When glimpse outputs matches, it will
display the filename, the URL, and the title automatically
-c Display only the count of matching records. Only files with count > 0
are displayed

glimpse -X -c QFile
-X (from version 4.0B1 only) Output the names of files that contain a match
even if these files have been deleted since the index was built. Without
this option

glimpse -X -U -c QFile

# I did not manage to get any hits with the -X option in glimpseindex and
the -c in glimpse were used ... Also, the -X in glimpse was necessary to
get any hits at all when I used -X in glimpseindex...

I tried the following glimpse versions, all without success:

http://webglimpse.net/trial/glimpse-4.15.tar.gz
http://webglimpse.net/allusers/glimpse-4.12.6.bin.Linux-2.2.5-22-i686.tar.gz
http://webglimpse.net/allusers/glimpse-4.13.1.tar.gz (needs registration
for download)