New Emacs part for gideon

Marcus Gruendler runner at tamalin.de
Sat Sep 1 13:11:27 BST 2001

On Friday 31 August 2001 22:20, you wrote:
> On Freitag, 31. August 2001 11:56, you wrote:
>
> GREAT!!! You should post this to kdevelop-devel though, I guess on days
> with more traffic this could go lost :)

Okay :-)

[...]
> it into CVS ? Marcus, how much does it integrate into the document/view
> model or is that still a subject to be implemented ? I mean, having emacs
> in MDI would be *FINE* :) and that's where we want to go to as well as an
> option for the users.

Well, I'm very new to KDE development and can't tell how far it is
integrated. The EmacsPart is derived from KEditor::Editor and there is an
implementation for KEditor::Document and KEditor::CursorDocumentIface.
Currently the part is actually a remote control for emacs. So more
sophisticated functionality like setting breakpoints (how to display them in
emacs?) and embedding emacs into KDE specific widgets is not possible right
now.

But I have heard of so called KDE-XParts which can swallow arbitrary
X-applications. If anyone could point me to some documentation, I would be
happy to dig into it.

By the way, I forgot to mention that you must have the gnuclient/gnuserv
package installed and activated on your system in order to use the part. It
comes with most Linux distros so this shouldn't be a problem. To activate it
in emacs, add this to your .emacs file:

(autoload 'gnuserv-start "gnuserv-compat")
(gnuserv-start)

Bye, Marcus