R: UML Modelling Tools (Was just Re: !!!)

Werner Modenbach modenbach at alc.de
Thu Oct 18 09:37:20 BST 2001

On Donnerstag, 18. Oktober 2001 09:10 Enrico Piccinini wrote / Am Donnerstag,
18. Oktober 2001 09:10 schrieb Enrico Piccinini:
> Hello,
>
> I don't want to pay for it and I'm going to use it for a personal use and
> not to install in my office network (I don't know if there are any
> commercial tools that are free only for personal use).
>
> Thank you
> Enrico

Hi Enrico,

some month ago I did some research on CASE tools. Here is my experiance:

Rational Rose is ported to Linux. Unfortunately it fills the sourcecode with
plenty of commentlines and makes it nearly unreadable. I was in the Beta
team but left it a while ago. They told me they are developing a new version
which is pure parser related an doesn't write any comments any more. I don't
know if the version came out allready.

Together Soft is compareable to Rational Rose. It is written in Java, so you
have to have a powerful machine to get it to an acceptable performance on
larger projects. The layout of diagrams is great. It works with C++ but is
mainly Java oriented. I rejected it because there was no way of putting it in
a pure analysis mode. Very often when moving arround objects in the
UML-View across other objects the display stock an the software decided to
embed the moved class into the class I crossed over. At the same time it
started reediting all the references etc. in the complete sourcecode. Without
an undo option this is a horror!
The good thing is you can download the software and you have a trial period.

The other tools I found for Linux were far not as powerfull as the two above.

- Werner -

                    ALC Computertechnik GmbH

        \_       \_          \_\_\_     Kaiserstr. 100
       \_\_      \_        \_           D-52134 Herzogenrath
      \_  \_     \_        \_           Germany
     \_\_\_\_    \_        \_           Fon +49 2407 95810
    \_      \_   \_        \_           Fax +49 2407 958139
   Werner Modenbach                     modenbach at alc.de