Best KDE development tools... help... Borland Kylix?

Juergen Suessmaier juergen at suessmaier.de
Sat May 26 00:36:44 BST 2001

David,

> Kylix does not run under WINE. They used some of WineLib to help port their
> packages. However, it is a native executable. There is no emulation
> involved.
are there any experiences around about how fast the Kylix generated GUIs
(and the code in general) are? I just wondered when I heard that they
wrap their OWL (or how ever this beast is called) around Qt, and wrapping
a toolkit around a toolkit doesn't sound very performant to me...

> Kylix used to be expensive, but Borland just yesterday I believe cut the
> price of the desktop version to $199 US. You can purchase it at
> http://shop.borland.com/Product/0,1057,3-15-CQ100479,00.html. I'm ordering
> my copy tonight.
Not bad! Looks like we'll get a bunch of new Linux apps in the near
future :-)

> KDevelop - nice tool, but it's not fully baked yet. Missing code complete
> and a full GUI builder. 3.0 should really rock but is still a ways away.
Aehm, isn't QDesigner a full GUI builder??? The layout management stuff
that's built into Qt and that's almost fully supported in QDesigner is
far superior than everything else I've seen on Windoze yet. But that's
just my two cents... - last time I had to hack some code using C++ Builder
(which to my knowledge comes across with the same tools as Delphi does)
is two years ago, so things may have changed meanwhile. What I personally
consider more important than fancy stuff like code completion and the like
is a real good class browser - like the one provided with code_crusader,
and for example UML support. Editor goodies just support coding issues,
but from my point of view that doesn't help that much as the software design
is the most important part when dealing with object oriented approaches.
There's a project ongoing called KUML but this is currently in a very
early stage and not suitable for professional work.

> development of KDE specific widgets and what not. There is no commercial
> support that I am aware of for KDevelop.
I don't consider that a disadvantage. KDevelop support (and KDE support
as well) is excellent - maybe because it is non-commercial...

> Forte - Sun's free Java implementation. Some people love it. I can's stand
> it. The interface is poorly laid out in my opinion. However, it is a
Forte on Linux and KDE 2.0 is plain unusable (windows move and disappear at
will), on KDE 2.1.2 it still will drive you nuts but it is somewhat usable
- as long as you don't mind Forte windows disappear when switching between
desktops. The JDK in use is an important factor. I experienced the best
results using the Blackdown JDK. The most annoying thing with Forte is
its millions of independent windows. It will turn your desktop into
a real desaster area within seconds. However, somewhat Forte is a good
tool and I still don't know wheather I should hate or love it.

Best regards,
Juergen
J. Süßmaier Systementwicklungen
Jürgen Süßmaier
juergen at suessmaier.de                       Realtime Software Development
Katharina Geisler Str. 14                       Embedded Applications
D-85356 Freising                                     Automation
Germany