debugging panel applets

David Joham djoham at criadvantage.com
Thu May 17 21:35:20 BST 2001

But what running process do you attach to, and when do you do it? Please
forgive me sounding like a broken record, but I don't have anyone here who
knows this stuff and I'm on my own trying to learn it. So far, I've found
the documentation...lacking. It seems like all of the people I've mailed and
asked for help were just born with the knowledge of how to do this and can't
understand those of us who aren't naturally able to do it :)

The SO that I create is libkquickspell.so.1.0.0. It gets put into /usr/bin
when I do a make install. When I run the applet, it seems to be launched
through an application called appletproxy. I can run appletproxy by itself
if I point it to the desktop file that my applet uses. For example:

appletproxy /usr/share/apps/kicker/applets/kquickspell.desktop

will run my applet in a little separate window external from kicker.

I've compiled debugging information into my application (or so KDevelop
says) but I have not recompiled appletproxy. Do I need to? It would seem
very silly for me to have to do that since I don't want to debug that code,
only mine.

I'm open to using kdbg to debug this, but I would prefer to learn how to do
it from within KDevelop. But I'm still at the point of not knowing how to
get this going. Nothing I've tried has worked.

I guess what I really need is a little hand-holding :)

Thanks again for your time...

David