more intuitive visual interface

John Gluck john.gluck at sympatico.ca
Fri May 11 22:29:01 BST 2001

Hi All

There are obviously several ways of looking at things and I don't think that there's a one size fits all
answer to this discussion. It is important to to look at specific needs and environments befroe choosing
a particular set of tools. Once the tools are chosen, it is usually because it's a best fit and not a
perfect fit.

The real point I was trying to make is that there is a danger in too much abstraction. In cases like
Visual Basic where you use drag and plop, IMHO, your not really doing programming. You're essentially
just stacking up lego blocks. When someone who has only learned this type of "programming" is faced with
a real programming task, he falls flat or has quite a learning curve ahead of him.

I use existing libraries when they make sense. But I can easily write my own code in C, C++ and
assembler  as well as other languages when the need arises.

Some of the points made by Juergen are quite true. They also point out that there are different needs
requiring different tools and different skills. I don't think the need for very skilled programmers will
go away. On the other hand there is also a use for people who can skillfully pile up lego blocks
although I wouldn't call then programmers.

The difference between embedded systems and workstations is remarkable. In  embedded systems, code is
staticly linked and shared libraries are not used. In small embedded systems, there is no device from
which to load code. In large embedded systems, there may be a disk drive or a flash disk from which to
load but code is usually not loaded dynamically. In either case, system resources are much more limited
than on a workstation. There is a marked difference in programming techniques for embedded systems
compared to workstations. This is especially true when you are trying to make high availablility
embedded systems for process control and communications.

This debate doesn't have one correct answer. It has many answers that are defined by the problem space
being addressed.

John