more intuitive visual interface

Ralf Nolden nolden at kde.org
Thu May 10 15:27:17 BST 2001

John Gluck wrote:

> Hi All
>
> It's nice to have IDEs and stuff that you can use to pick and choose
> objects and widgets and things. Just being able to do a pick and plunk
> however doesn't make you a programmer. The danger is that in the long
> run you don't know what you're doing or why. Also, it's much harder to
> debug things when you didn't write the code. Last but not least, using
> objects that are written to be general purpose and have feature you
> don't need  and don't use tends to produce bloatware.
>
> There is a happy medium somewhere that eases the task of programming but
> still requires a programmer to do some work. I'm sure there are various
> arguments for different points of view. Personally, if I wanted to do
> Microslop I'd be washing Windows.

Well, things always have a good and a bad side here. I prefer using
designer because I never had or took the time to see how I could use the
geometry management functions in Qt directly. I have some basics though
but those don't last for quick fixes of sometimes very complicated
written dialogs like the ones in kcontrol which do have some UI errors.
It took me hours yesterday to fix the arrangements of literally *two*
groupboxes in two modules. AAAAAAHH !!!  I don't want to know how much
time I still have to invest into reading other people's long code to fix
all UI errors in these modules as nobody else seems to wanting to do it.
If all were written with designer it would be easy to fix though, indeed
*very* easy and a job for an afternoon or an evening with nothing on TV
:-))

Ralf
--
Finally, even I have to admit that being myself was the best thing
that ever could have happened to me. - Le Grand Charmeur

Ralf Nolden

The KDevelop Project
http://www.kdevelop.org

nolden at kde.org