Developing Proprietary Software with KDevelop

Eric Sorensen esorensen at arcormail.de
Sun May 6 23:12:33 BST 2001

Am Monday 07 May 2001 01:11 pm schrieben Sie:
> Eric Sorensen wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > My question is, can I use KDevelop to program proprietary software.
>
> Yes.   ...your commercial software can use LGPL-licenced code (the KDE
> libraries (kdelibs)) as base libraries - means, your commercial
> application can link against libkdelibs.so.
Fantastic.

> > My other option would be to Purchase Borlands Kylix.  It would be
> > interestig being able to use the same source codes for a Windows
> > application but the staggering prices....
>
> Kylix got a bad assessment in the famous German computer magazin 'ct.

I have the subscription since over a year.  The Article wasn't half so
negative.  Kylix got mostly hit for not cleanly importing code out of
Delphi-5 Projects and for having a somewhat incomplete Database support
library.  Things that one can expect to be cleaned up by version 2.0  Thanks
for reminding me that I had the article.

> >  I realy like KDevelops price !!  I also want to start
> > programming for real in C/C++ (currently am stuck with VB).
>
> You could use the Custom or Terminal project type provided by KDevelop's
> project wizard.
Oh thank you no!!  I haven't gone mad ! :-)  (moo).

I also read a rather difficult to understand reply.  I gather that the author
was less than impressed and wanted me to release the software for free, so
here just one comment.  I never ruled something along those lines out - a
somewhat limited version of course.  I am a Linux fanatic (certified!!) and
would like nothing more than to give something back to the Open Source
Community.  But I also have to remember my non-open source wife and family
who would like to see something coming out of all the hours I spend on the
computer.