Linuxtag 2001 Stuttgart organization

Ralf Nolden nolden at kde.org
Mon May 7 12:30:08 BST 2001

Hi all,

as the subject says, this is about the upcoming LinuxTag 2001 in
Stuttgart, Germany.

The expo will be from Thursday, July 5 to Sunday, July 8.

As last year has proven, there will be *lots* of KDE Developers there.
Because of this, we have to organize this a little bit to avoid the
situation that we have 4 or 5 developers doing demo's on computers and
10 to 15 developers sitting on the floor inside the booth with their
laptops and earplugs coding and listening to mp3's, not to speak of the
developers *behind* the booth :-) Also, this is about organizing
hardware for the expo itself.

a) booth space
--------------
I've written Joey (the contact for the booth arrangment) that there will
be about 20 developers around so he should provide enough space, at
least more than last year. Due to the masses of people bugging us with
questions, I've asked for two open sides of the booth, so we may get a
booth that is on a corner to have two sides open. The booth space *may*
be larger than last year, but that mustn't be the case necessarily.

b) KDE contact persons for organizing the booth
Contact persons will be Torsten Rahn, Eva Brucherseifer and me.  Please
CC everyone of us if you're sending one of us a mail about the linuxtag.

c) PLEASE notify us that you're coming
--------------------------------------
Send *all* of us a mail if you intend to come and for how long (e.g.
Thu-Sun or Fri-Sun for example). We'll probably have to set up a webpage
with a table who'll be there. This will also allow you to decide if you
want to come at all if the developers you want to contact or speak to
yourself are not there for example.

d) hardware for expo and demo
-----------------------------
There will be presumably 4 desks for permanent demo. These have to be
equipped with hardware to advice users if they have questions and
demoing KDE itself. Now, if you'll bring hardware with you on expo's,
especially desktop machines and large monitors, you're risking severe
transport damage. Consider this before bringing along your development
machine.  Also setting up machines and tearing them down in the evening
will cost you time and work. Due to this, we will require 4 laptops that
are at the demo points, one for each. The specification for these are a
resolution of at least 1024x768 and PIII processors (if possible). Also
they should have Antialiased font support. I could bring mine and
presumably my brother's so there's two machines left to bring for demo.

For these 4 machines we need TFT displays ideally or large monitors. I
know that Martin Konold could presumably bring the 21" HP monitor like
last year if possible, Torsten has a 15" TFT display. So we would need
two other TFT displays or large monitors. If someone has one to bring
with him, please drop me a mail so we don't have 10 montitors around we
don't need. (Martin, Torsten, is that OK with your two monitors/displays
?)

I also assume Martin will bring his big Konqui. How about some
additional fan stuff like mousepads and little konqui's as well as KDE
mugs, t-shirts ? Also, could we burn CD's with a KDE 2.2 (maybe final,
but if it's not released yet, the latest beta) ? If stuff is going to be
sold on the booth, we would require a little desk where we could do that
and one who is responsible for that.

e) KDE-Women present
--------------------
Eva is setting up and planning something for the KDE women for LinuxTag.
This will probably prevent developers coding if there are women on the
KDE booth as personell, but you have to get used to that :-)

I hope I've covered the most important points that are currently of
general interest. Feel free to come there and join other developers.
It's a good opportunity and I guess it'll be half of an official KDE
meeting anyway. Looking forward to that :-))

Please write us a note as soon as you know if you're going to be there.
Hubs are also welcome if you have one, so we can assure that the
developers sitting around have an internet connection to check in their
code  ;-)

Cheers,

Ralf
--
Finally, even I have to admit that being myself was the best thing
that ever could have happened to me. - Le Grand Charmeur

Ralf Nolden

The KDevelop Project
http://www.kdevelop.org

nolden at kde.org