in the prefix, you've chosen, there are no KDE headers installed.

W. Tasin tasin at fhm.edu
Thu Mar 29 13:25:26 BST 2001

Jonathan Gardner wrote:

> Ahh! Most helpful indeed... but won't it try to install the compiled binary at
> the prefix location?

yes, but only if you do a "make install" from command line.
KDevelop doesn't perform this action, because in general you need
root-rights to install your package on the system (normally you need
write permission to /opt/kde2, /usr/kde2 /usr/local/bin or sth. similar
depending on the distribution and application type)

> Or am I just paranoid? Or does KDevelop not do make
> install?

On debugging or starting your app inside KDevelop the binary created
inside myApp/myApp (or inside myApp/myApp/.libs) will be used.

--- Excursion for KDE-apps: ;-)
You have to install your package, if you want to access application
data, which is shared inside the KDE specific directories.

Handling these data files can be done by using kde library functions
inside your application (for example to find icons or the config file
myApprc etc.).

In this case I suggest to use the directory structure given by your KDE
and/or your distribution (for example on SuSE /opt/kde2/bin for
binaries, /opt/kde2/lib for KDE-specific libraries,
/opt/kde2/share/config, /opt/kde2/share/apps, etc etc.....)

Ciao

Walter
--
oohhh sveglia.... il mondo e' ammalato, ma x colpa di chi.........
(Zucchero)