why is kdevelop crashing all the time on latest kde2?

Thorsten Schnebeck thorsten.schnebeck at gmx.net
Sun Mar 25 23:06:27 BST 2001

_Usul John Obscurant wrote:
> i did indeed. the library linked to libpthread seems to be libGL (the one
> included with xfree86 4.0.99.1/cvs) ... which has no possibility to be
> configured without pthread - but i need qt linked to libGL as i am having
> some opengl stuff in my project.
> so i tried again to do everything _with_ mt: after having recompiled
> qt-2.3.0, kdesupport, kdelibs and kdebase i tried to run some programs (not
> yet recompiled) that had been linked to non-threaded kdelibs. many apps (i
> remember at least kmail, klaptopdeamon) as well as kdevelop (from kde2.1
> release) crashed all with the same bt ... crash was somewhere in QCursor.
> now i compiled kdevelop with --enable-mt. still crashing ... different bt
> (unfortunately i did not save it).
> i remembered having updated qt from 2.2.3 to 2.3.0 some days ago and
> downgraded to 2.2.3: bt did not change

To get a stable KDE I suggest the following way:

Compile QT with --thread --disable-open-gl  (don't know if these are the
exact names of the options)
You get a libqt and a libqt-mt
Then compile kde with --disable-open-gl --disable-threads (I think this is
only for the screensaver in kdebase)
Now you shout have a stable desktop.

So, now you can try this: save libqt and compile qt with open-gl support
enabled. If open-gl depents on libqt-mt your desktop should stay stable.
You can use libqt-mt for your own programs. But if this breaks your desktop
stability you can fallback to the saved qt libs.

If you do it this way I'm interested in the results.

Bye

  Thorsten