Newbie Question: Setup on RH7 for development

Thorsten Schnebeck thorsten.schnebeck at gmx.net
Thu Mar 22 23:25:06 GMT 2001

Giorgi Lekishvili wrote:

> > Of Jonathan Gardner
> > I am a newbie to Linux, but not to programming. I am coming from
> > Windows.... so
[...]
> > My system right now is a fairly stock RH7.
> >
> Learn on my bitter experience: RH likes GNOME (which is really not bad, I
[...]
> As I was advised myself (by Jurgen Su?maier,
> mailto://juergen@suessmaier.de ), you need:
> Xfree86 4.0.2,
> Kernel 2.4 (not 2.2.16, which is not satisfactory);
> kde 2.1 (RH box has 1.x, and kde 2.0 test, in the 2nd CD, in 'preview');
> qt-2.2.4 (instead of qt-2.2.0, do not delete
> qt-1.45, its presence is mandatory);
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
only for KDE1 programs

> and kdevelop 1.4.
> So, you need to download a lot of stuff and compile them, if there is no
> rpm.

Naaaa! Bitter experience, why?

Ok, RH7 has Gnome as default and IIRC a strange GCC-Version.
But Jonathan, if you want to be a KDE programmer you have to learn how to
handle with source-code!
So compiling things from cvs or tar-balls is some kind of a basic exercise.
And another point: The difference between the varios linux distribution are
not so large and can be changed.
You have to come to one decision: Will you stay on package-management
(binaries) á la RPM or will you go with the source?

In the latter case you can mail me in private, and I will help you creating
a basic KDE development set-up.
Of course you can try RH KDE-2.1-RPMs also.

Bye

  Thorsten

--
Someone saturday or monday on CeBIT?