Newbie Question: Setup on RH7 for development

Juergen Suessmaier juergen at suessmaier.de
Thu Mar 22 22:57:02 GMT 2001

Hi,

just a little addendum:

> Learn on my bitter experience: RH likes GNOME (which is really not bad, I
> have to use it, as there is an excellent program GHEMICAL, a computational
> chemistry tool). If you really need KDE, you'd better use some other
> distribution, say SuSE, which offers upgrades for new KDE versions.
> ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/KDE2/ .
> As I was advised myself (by Jurgen Su?maier,
> mailto://juergen@suessmaier.de ), you need:
> Xfree86 4.0.2,
> Kernel 2.4 (not 2.2.16, which is not satisfactory);
The kernel upgrade was necessary due to heavy system crashes obviously caused
by the somewhat weird USB packport found in the original one. Disabling
USB on the 2.2.16 kernel fixed the problem and if you don't experience
any problems with the original kernel at all, there's no need to upgrade
the kernel - except if you like to "play" with the bleeding edge like I
do :-) However, kernel 2.4.2 appears to be as stable as usual. I haven't
seen any problems since the upgrade (boxes run at 24/7).

> kde 2.1 (RH box has 1.x, and kde 2.0 test, in the 2nd CD, in 'preview');
> qt-2.2.4 (instead of qt-2.2.0, do not delete qt-1.45, its presence is
> mandatory);
could also be qt-2.2.3 which is available in RPM format as well. The 2.2.4
I am using was self-compiled as I wasn't able to find RH7 RPMs. However,
2.2.3 worked fine as well.

> and kdevelop 1.4.
> So, you need to download a lot of stuff and compile them, if there is no
> rpm. You also can order them on CD, see http://www.kde.org.
All packages mentioned (except kernel 2.4.2 and qt-2.2.4) are available
for RH7 in RPM format, so upgrading is quite simple.

Regards,
Juergen
J. Süßmaier Systementwicklungen
Jürgen Süßmaier
juergen at suessmaier.de                       Realtime Software Development
Katharina Geisler Str. 14                       Embedded Applications
D-85356 Freising                                     Automation
Germany