Syntax highlighting with KDevelop

Robert-Margaret Hunt robert-margaret_hunt at sil.org
Thu Mar 22 23:32:00 GMT 2001

Hi,

I was looking at the Kdevelop 3.0 source. I can't wait for it to
be finished. I like KDevelop and KDevelop 3 looks like what I
really want.

However I do a fair amount of programming in assembly language
(yeah that's right and I know its a little off Kdevelop's target
audience) for AVRs (which BTW are microcontrollers made by
www.atmel.com). I was looking at how much work it would be to
make Kdevelop 3 work with this assembly language. However I
realize that not everbody who uses KDevelop wants junk for using
AVR assembly language. What I couldn't see was a clear way to
seperate the AVR language stuff from KDevelop so that you could
acquire it seperately from KDevelop.

I won't go into the class view or anything because that is more
complicated. The first thing I was going to do was to try and
make Kdevelop highlight AVR assembly.

The syntax highlighting (which I realize comes from KWrite) seems
to be in one file (highlight.cpp/h). The actually code to make it
do the highlighting seems to be fairly simple. Is there any way
to make a highlighting plugin or something (ie one for AVR
assembly language)? I couldn't see a way to do this. Is there a
way that I didn't see? I realize this isn't really Kdevelop's
fault but any suggestions/pointers would be appreciated.

Jonathan Hunt
<jhuntnz at users.sourceforge.net>