how to turn off -fno-exceptions in kdevelop

Scott Manson Maniac at Alltel.net
Tue Mar 13 03:45:23 GMT 2001

On Monday 12 March 2001 06:44 pm, you wrote:
> Hi Ralph,

> Agree, but probably due to a lack of information I still don't see a
> reason for diabling exceptions or 64 bit int arithmetic ny default. I

I have to jump into this thread ANY default options that are set are probably
set for a majority of platforms/users not for the obscure user/platform. I
know that the world is not a democracy and this is a comprise trying to keep
as many people/platforms happy as possible, while not "displeasing " too many
other people.  I am sorry you fall in to the latter catagory but if we
changed the defaults to your specifications we could possibly displease a lot
more people than just you.

> assume that you guys don't fiddle with compiler switches without having
> good reasons to do so. So where's the actual problem with enabled
> exceptions or 'long long' stuff? Reentrancy? I personally use the GNU
> compiler among other stuff as a cross development system for 68K embedded
> targets and I switched off exceptions as they make (along with rtti) the
> code a lot larger. That's an issue for systems with a very limited amount
> of ROM space but I don't think it's an issue for a standard "bloated"
> workstation with tons of RAM and harddisk space...
Sorry I never have enough RAM and anything that makes "bloated" software
the default is IMHO wrong. A developer should be forced to develop NOT
on a super-charged platform with lots and lots of ram but on a lower end
platform (more in line with the majority of the platforms out there.)
I could write the greatest IDE environment out there and it runs FAST on my
box with 2 Gig Ram and dual procs but is next to impossible to run on anything
less. If you need specialized options for your platform then accept the fact
that you are going to have to do a little more work.  Compiler switches are a
minor inconvience; try getting any other platform's switches "tweaked" and
you might find that this inconvience is not only minor but trivial.

--
Maniac at alltel.net 40° 37' 9" N, 96° 57' 24" W
A single tasking guy in multi tasking world