Warning: Current cvs of kdevelop 2.0 is unusable

John Birch jbb at kdevelop.org
Wed Mar 7 01:20:52 GMT 2001

On Wed, 07 Mar 2001 13:49, Otto Bruggeman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i just found out that current kdevelop 2.0 in cvs has become completely
> unusale after Falks commits. KDevelop crashes all the time now and most of
> the functionality does not work anymore. Like when you click an entry in
> the treeview it does no longer open a window with the source/headerfile,
> closing an mdi window that is not on top will crash kdevelop, i couldn't
> test it any further beause it keeps crashing. And when i start KDevelop up
> there are multiple windows all of a sudden with no content but they do
> have names and all. I guess some windows don't dock in the app.
>
> Anyway please make it better or warn people not to use cvs head for 2.0
> now and use a stable version like 1.4... i certainly have learned my
> lesson when it comes to using head kdevelop: i wont use it anymore to test
> the latest functionality...

Yes KDEVELOP_1_4 is currently unusable - this was a deliberate choice so that
others can help Falk getting the system back into a usable state as quickly
as possible. The work he is doing is a big chunk and it helps when others can
sort some things out for him at the same time.

Now let me repost part of a previous mail
----
The full (corrected) list of tags and branches is now

HEAD - unstable/development.
KDEVELOP_1_4  - bug fixes plus a few enhancements to v1.4 (maybe stable)
KDE_2_1_BRANCH - bug fixes only branch of the released v1.4 (stable)
KDE_2_1_RELEASE - stable - released version 1.4 for kde2.1
KDEVELOP_1_0 - stable - released version 1.3 for kde1.x

So please keep reporting bugs and sending patches so that kdevelop can
continue to improve. Don't forget to include which version/tag/date of
kdevelop you have downloaded.
----

as you see we have already warned you that KDEVELOP_1_4 may not be stable,
but if you want to test the latest functionality that is the only version you
can use.

Rather it seems to me you require a stable version - in that case you should
get the KDE_2_1_BRANCH. Once we get it back in a usable state, I  hope you'll
help out again with KDEVELOP_1_4.

HTH

jbb