bind

Sheldon Lee-Wen sheldonl at nortelnetworks.com
Tue Jun 19 13:59:29 BST 2001

Sending this again b/c the reply to email address was internal only.

Hi,

  I'm writing a pop3 server (for fun and to learn network programming), however, I have one problem that is bugging me.
Whenever I ctrl-c the program or shut it down gracefully (I'm also using a client issued command that issues a shutdown
on the server side, just for testing purposes), and try to start it back up right away I get the message:
bind failed: Address already in use (I'm catching the error w/ perror("bind failed"); ) The signal's are handled
w/ a piece of code that closes all open client connections and then closes the server socket fd as well.

Any suggestions? Is this something I can fix?

Also, another question. If I want my server to be scalable and multi-user what is the best way to go about it?
select? or make a new thread for each incoming connection? or both?

--
Cheers,
Sheldon Lee-Wen