Allan: follow up on build problems for Solaris

Roland Krause rokrau at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 13 20:37:52 GMT 2001

Allan, a quick follow up.

The generic solaris make definitely does not work. Upgrading gmake to
version 3.79 finally solved the problem.

Further, Solaris generic grep (/usr/bin/grep) does not know the option
-E, /usr/xpg/bin/grep does. The generic Solaris awk (/usr/bin/awk)
doesn't like the first argument ($0) in your awk script, ommiting
finally produces the output file.

While I very much appreciate your help, I believe, without knowing why
this actually fails, that piling up of highly platform dependent tools
(grep, awk, sed.... the whole mess) doesn't make things easier anymore.

Maybe perl would be the solution for this kind of stuff.

Anyway, happily compiling away now.

Thanks
Roland

PS: I really appreciate your quick responses whatsoever. I am just
tired of all the platform dependent mess....

=====
Roland Krause