code completion help...

Werner Modenbach modenbach at alc.de
Mon Feb 19 07:48:54 GMT 2001

On Samstag, 17. Februar 2001 15:35, Dimitri van Heesch wrote / Am Samstag,
17. Februar 2001 15:35 schrieb Dimitri van Heesch:

> I don't think M$'s DevStudio uses more info than this for code completion.
> But then that certainly isn't perfect either.
>
> > (Consider a user typing something like
> > a(function1(), function2(1))->m and waiting for the code completion with
> > two visible definitions of method "a" with different sets of parameters
> > and possibly multiple definitions of the functions used as parameters as
> > well.) Also don't forget type conversion necessary for resolving
> > ambiguities between multiple definitions, template classes / functions,
> > inheritance...
>
> You could have added partial template specialization to make it even more
> difficult ;-)
>
> For this you'd really need a real compiler and also
> the time it takes to compile, which is probably not what you want for
> something that should be done in real time.

Hi Dimitri,

I follow up the discussion about code completion for a while now. I really
agree the job is quite complicate to be done in real time.

But there is another aspect I want to throw into discussion.
In my opinion everybody talks about the difficult cases here but this is not
the majority of the cases. For me it would be a great help if code completion
would at least cover the simple cases. If it's not a simple case: OK, there
might be no completion, but nothing worse than now. So it there is a way to
do an 80% code completion for a first throw I would be glad :-))

- Werner -

                    ALC Computertechnik GmbH

        \_       \_          \_\_\_     Kaiserstr. 100
       \_\_      \_        \_           D-52134 Herzogenrath
      \_  \_     \_        \_           Germany
     \_\_\_\_    \_        \_           Fon +49 2407 95810
    \_      \_   \_        \_           Fax +49 2407 958139
   Werner Modenbach                     modenbach at alc.de