code completion help...

Jens Zurheide jens.zurheide at gmx.de
Wed Feb 14 21:43:00 GMT 2001

> It parses good enough for a graphical classviewer but not
> for code completion? Is it not fast enough or what is the reason for
> that? Could it not be enhanced with an API that doesnt change much and
> on which the actual code completion could be built. Then the class
> parser can be replaced later.
>
> Roland

Hi,

I know a parser that seems to be complete and written using Qt-classes. You
might want to have a look at doxygen (http://www.doxygen.org). This is a
documentation generator as kdoc is. It knows all relevant properties of a
class and its members (inline/virtual/private/const/...) and it can handle
namespaces properly. Doxygen comes in one flavour that uses the parser and
generates an XML file. I did not look to deep into this file but it seems to
be a tree of all variables and classes with a reference to the documentation
in the files that the normal version generates. This might be interesting for
displaying additional information about class members when they are selected
in the completion combobox.

One word to the timing: generating the XML-tree for kdevelop-1.4 takes 10-11
seconds (on my machine PIII-550) where the task searching for member
documentations seems to take 2 or more seconds (I think we can skip this one
:-).

Jens