code completion help...

christopher j bottaro cjb at cs.utexas.edu
Tue Feb 13 00:42:06 GMT 2001

accually, i've abandoned my old method (trying to work magic with regular
expressions).  whoever posted about this topic before was right, if i really
want to do it right, i have to come up with a context free grammer for a
portion of c++.  so now my strategy has changed.  i am currently using flex++
and bison++.  flex has made it easy to elegantly remove c comments and
strings broken up upon multiple lines.  and combined with bison++, i wrote a
little grammer to match/parse method signatures and method bodies.  weird
thing though...i can get bison to match and discard while loops of the form:
while (expression) codeblock
but for some reason it chokes on
while (identifier) codeblock

also, i think people want QT classes to work with code completion, and i
thought they would because i thought i saw somewhere in the ClassParser code
that QT and KDE classes were stored preparsed and loaded into the class store
or something.

the two current problems i'm facing now is getting bison++ to work with 2
lexers in the source.  it doesn't like the other flexlexer that the
classparser uses.  and also, my grammer has one shift/reduce conflict because
of the "dangling else" ambiguity.  so far that hasn't caused any problems
though.

other than that, its pretty fast.  it can scan a 3000 line source file
without making the cursor even flinch.

oh well, i'm still kinda feeling this out, i.e. whether or not it can be done
well pretty easily.  hopefully i'll have a patch soon.

my initial goals are to get it working with the following deficiencies:
1)  it completely relies on the classstore, if a class isn't parsed by the
classparser and put in the classstore, the code completion code isn't going
to find its methods/variables.
2)  code completion will only work in the scope of methods defined outside
the class declaration (i.e. method definitions with :: in the signature)
3)  it won't recognize scope inside a method, like variables declared inside
loops or if statements

thanks for the info and comments,
christopher