how to create KDE documentation using kdoc2?

Ralf Nolden nolden at kde.org
Wed Feb 7 18:53:13 GMT 2001

Heiko Nardmann wrote:

> I am trying to create the KDE documentation using kdoc2.
>
> I did the following:
>
> 1) To prepare the Qt documentation:
>
> qt2kdoc -o /opt/kde2/share/doc/HTML/default/qt2 /usr/lib/qt2/doc/html
>
> 2) I extracted the sources of kdelibs, switched to this directory and entered:
>
> makekdedoc --libdir /opt/kde2/share/doc/kdoc --srcdir
> /usr/local/src/kdelibs-2.0.1 --rule-file kdoc.rules --outputdir
> /opt/kde2/share/doc/HTML/default/kdelibs

Erm....well, matter of fact is that the preferrable way is to use
KDevelop setup for that, there´s an update dialog for that. KDoc saves
reference files that are interpreted by kdevelop and they are expected
to be in the same dir as your output of the
documentation/kdoc-reference. Otherwise, with your call above, they´ll
end up in $HOME/.kdoc/ which is currently only used by kdevelop 1.4. It
works but as you are doing that as root, you won´t see your references
(and thus you can´t use the kdevelop doctree feature of unfolding libs,
classes and methods documentation) when working as a user because the
reference files will be in /root/.kdoc/*.kdoc.gz, not in your user´s
$HOME/.kdoc/. So the preferred way is to use kdevelop for that.

> I get some warnings, e.g.:
>
> Unknown command @param
> Unknown command @url
> Unknown command @findFrame
> warning: View inherits unknown class 'QWidget'
>
> Can I safely ignore these messages or what do I have to do?
well, that message with QWidget comes because kdoc ran as user and the
above reference files are not found in neither the
kdelibs/kdoc-reference nor in your $HOME/.kdoc. So you can´t use the
crossreferencing here. Solution as above, use kdevelop as root to create
your system set of API docs.

Ralf

--
Finally, even I have to admit that being myself was the best thing
that ever could have happened to me. - Le Grande Charmeur

Ralf Nolden

The KDevelop Project
http://www.kdevelop.org

nolden at kde.org