accidentally erased htdiag (?) Need help!

Juergen Suessmaier juergen at suessmaier.de
Mon Dec 31 06:42:26 GMT 2001

Hi Jeff,

the package containing htdig and friends is called "htdig" - at least
in my RedHat distribution. Its purpose (from rpm -qi):

The ht://Dig system is a complete world wide web indexing and searching
system for a small domain or intranet. This system is not meant to replace
the need for powerful internet-wide search systems like Lycos, Infoseek,
Webcrawler and AltaVista. Instead it is meant to cover the search needs for
a single company, campus, or even a particular sub section of a web site. As
opposed to some WAIS-based or web-server based search engines, ht://Dig can
span several web servers at a site. The type of these different web servers
doesn't matter as long as they understand the HTTP 1.0 protocol.
ht://Dig is also used by KDE to search KDE's HTML documentation.

ht://Dig was developed at San Diego State University as a way to search the
various web servers on the campus network.

Best regards and a happy new year,
Juergen

Jeff Weeks schrieb:

> Hey guys,
>
> Well... I'm stupid :)
> I was tryin' to fit a SuSE tarball into my system, and it overwrote
> /usr/bin/ht* with links to files I don't have... :)  My distrib keeps
> them right in /usr/bin, I guess SuSE keeps them in /opt/www/  Ooops :)
>
> Anyway, what I need to know is what package htdiag, htsearch et al, are
> part of, so I can find it on my distrib CD and reinstall them :)
>
> On an aside... what are they?  I've never heard of these files.  Are
> they part of the KDE?  (the tarball I was installing was part of the
> KDE).
>
> Thanks a bunch,
> Jeff
>
> ps to kdevelop mailing list - I'm also posting this message here, 'cuz
> it was a kdevelop tarball I was installing, and am just wondering if
> perhaps this message is better suited to you guys :)  Like I said, I
> don't know if htdiag, etc is a Linux or a KDE thing.
>
> -
> to unsubscribe from this list send an email to kdevelop-request at kdevelop.org with the following body:
> unsubscribe ;your-email-address+

J. Süßmaier Systementwicklungen
Jürgen Süßmaier
juergen at suessmaier.de                       Realtime Software Development
Katharina Geisler Str. 14                       Embedded Applications
D-85356 Freising                                     Automation
Germany