Qt and other libraries

Tarjei Knapstad tarjeik at chemcon.no
Tue Dec 18 11:42:11 GMT 2001

On Tue, 18 Dec 2001, Girard Henri wrote:

> Have you tested GTK ?
> gtk.org

I would not recommend using Gtk as they don't have any sort of commercial
support (which Qt does). The license fee you pay Trolltech suddenly
becomes small in comparison to what kind of money you might lose when your
customers are whining about bugs in your app and you have to rely on free
support from the Gtk community.

>  --- Celine Tourlet <celine.tourlet at c-s.fr> a écrit :
> > Hi all,
> > I'm currently evaluating Qt and It looks really good
> > to me.
> > First, if my questions should be posted to another
> > mailing list or news
> > group, please let me know since kdevelop.org is the
> > only I know that
> > covers topics related to Qt.
> >
> > As I said Qt seems cool but I'm doing this
> > evaluation for professional
> > use so I need to justify my choices ...
> > Does anybody know any ressource that would give
> > comparison information
> > about Qt and other librairies ?
> > Any personal feedback welcome as well.
> >
> > My project requires either a portable graphical
> > library, or at least a
> > library running on Linux.
> > 2 main features are expected :
> > - good set of widgets for dialogs, buttons and so on
> > - (soft) real time animation of 2D objects.

Qt certainly has enough widgets, and when you need something special
inheritance is your friend.

As for 2D animation the QCanvas is supposed to be pretty fast (which I
think it is).

> > The commercial library Ilog Views is quite known
> > here. Anyone knowing Qt
> > and Ilog that would give his/her opinion ?
> > Any other libray to suggest, possibly as a
> > complement to Qt for 2D
> > objects animation ?

Never had a look at this until now (Ilog Views), but unless you have a
strong need for the Charts and Graph Layout (or even the Map) stuff, I
think it looks pretty similar. I've implemented my own graph layout code
using QCanvas and the graph library of Boost (http://www.boost.org).
Qt also has some "third party" plotting stuff at
http://qwt.sourceforge.net but that leaves out the support option once
again...

Most importantly Ilog Views does not seem to run under Linux (which I
gather was a requirement on your part).

Good luck with your evaluation!

T.