wishlist: support for "objective C"

Richard Dale Richard_Dale at tipitina.demon.co.uk
Thu Dec 13 00:15:01 GMT 2001

On Wednesday 12 December 2001 9:22 pm, you wrote:
> here's another item for the wishlist:
>
> * support for "objective C"
>
> as "objective C" is supported by both, the "gcc" and "gdb" it should
> be quite simple to include "objective C" support.
Already done! KDevelop 3 (gideon) has support for Objective-C class browsing,
syntax highlighting etc. And you can use a 'patched for Objective-C' gdb to
debug. I have patches to add Objective-C suppport to KDevelop 1.2 or 1.4 too.

> you might wonder whether anyone is still using objective C?
> well, some macintosh and nextstep developers might do.
KDE has GNUstep Foundation Kit/Objective-C bindings in the kdebindings module
in the cvs, they are due for release with KDE 3. See kdebindings/qtobjc and
kdebindings/kdeobjc in the HEAD branch.

> but most important: the SWARM framework (www.swarm.org) is based on
> objective C libraries (and the framework itself).
>
> as nowadays there's no "objective C"-capable modern IDE the usage of
> the SWARM framework (i.e. one's own development) is enormously
> tedious!
> profound syntax-highlighting, class browsers, integrated text editor
> and debugger are a must-have for every larger software development
> project.
>
> thus, by providing objective C support, kdevelop would emerge to the
> standard must-have for the SWARM community.
>
> you'd rescue countless grateful SWARM users and integrate them into
> the kdevelop user community.
Sounds good..

-- Richard