Wrong package type for XFree86-devel-4.1.0-3 (Installing QT 3.00)

Jim Horvath horvath at nicedream.com
Wed Dec 12 15:03:29 GMT 2001

On Wednesday 12 December 2001 09:32 am, you wrote:
> All right, the package is on RH 7.2 disk 2. Thanks to all for your help.
> Just a SMALL problem (that might explain why the package wasn't installed
> already) : when I try to open it, I got a message "Unknown package type :
> /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS/XFree86-devel-4.1.0-3.i386.rpm". What's wrong with
> it ?

Is your CD dirty?  Try copying the file off of the CD onto your hardrive
somewhere, and see if it gives errors when you try the copy.  If it doesn't
give errors, then try installing the hardrive copy.  Also, to keep things
simple, install from the shell (as root), without using any RPM
front-ends:

rpm -ivh XFree86-devel-4.1.0-3.i386.rpm

And just for fun, here is an md5 (made with the md5sum command) of my
XFree86-devel-4.1.0-3.i386.rpm:

a7105f06e1626c9e82e02ca93bcb34ff

It might be worth it to run md5sum on your rpm to verify that the file isn't
corrupt.  But I have a feeling that your CD reader is having problems with
the disk.  Is the disk a burned copy of RH?  Some readers don't handle all
burned disks equally well.

Jim
horvath at nicedream.com