More Gideon TODO (+Re: Getting involved HOWTO?)

Tarjei Knapstad tarjeik at chemcon.no
Fri Aug 24 13:54:58 BST 2001

On Tue, 21 Aug 2001, Tarjei Knapstad wrote:

> At the risk of losing friends, girlfriend, and basically having a life, I
> thought I might spend even more of my time coding, and get (more or less)
> invovled in the KDevelop project.
>
> Some questions arise though:
>
> 1. Where can I find documentation on KDevelop?
> I cashed out the KDE_2_2_BRANCH from CVS yesterday, and generated the
> doxygen documentation which was far from complete. Another thing I sorely
> miss is some documentation on the design (an UML diagram would be nice).
>
> 2. What needs to be done? Who currently works on what?
> There should be a proper and up to date bug reporting/handling system on
> the web site. (I've personally installed Mantis, mantisbt.sourceforge.net,
> at the company where I'm currently employed...very nice, allthough I don't
> know how easy it would be to migrate your existing database.) I sincerely
> doubt (hope :-) that the bug stats at the homepage are up to date as some
> bugs have lived for 560 days (!).
>
> 3. Which platforms/compilers should I work with?
> I'm currently using RedHat 7.x and GCC 3.0.1 (as of today :)
> Is this OK? Also, it should be sufficient to compile Qt, kdelibs, and
> kdevelop with Gcc 3.0.x to get things working, right?
>
> 4. Is there any collection on the discussion regarding the "big plans" for
> Gideon? I have some major suggestions that I will get back to later on.
>
> 5. Where/how should patches be posted/made?
> (At least up until I might prove worthy of CVS write access... :)
>
> If you could kindly answer my questions I'll get into some 2.0.1 fixing as
> soon as possible. I'll start out with having a look at the "tree collapse"
> problem which I reported last week.
>
> Cheers,

So, doesn't anyone want to answer my questions? :)

Anyhow, here's some not-implemented-in-a-day features that would be nice
for Gideon (when is Gideon/KDE3 scheduled btw?):

1. As someone allready put on the TODO list: Integrated UML editor. The
editor itself is there I guess (Kivio), so the task is really in the
integration. A properly integrated UML editor would enable the user to
forget about header files, as they would be generated from the diagram
itself. Now, imagine just designing software in UML, and then just click
on a method and be taken straight to a small editor for just that method,
and not the entire .cpp file. Makes me drool...

2. Better support for group/netwide development.
I think there should be a client/server structure on this.
Serverside:
  - Gets notification when a project member has
  added/commited/whatever a file in the project. Forwards
  notification to all other members.
  - Controls the CVS repository.
  - A simple IRC-like chat for project members.
  - <add youor ideas here>
Clientside:
  - Pops up notices whenever a central change has occured (i.e. someone
  else did a CVS commit)
  - Chat client.
  - etc.
To get this sort of stuff clearly takes a lot of work, and also means that
a kdevelop daemon must be written. Groupware is bloody nice though, and
totally rids everyone of the current .kdevprj management hell...

3. Better CVS integration.
Plain and simple: Rip out a lot of Cervisia code. In Cervisia I like:
	- The color coding
	- The status check
	- Tag names displayed
	- And a lot of other things like diff, conflict resolve, etc.

Any1 have any views on this?

Cheers,
--
Tarjei Knapstad