KDevelop 2.0 Bug and clipboard annoyance

lrtaylor lrtaylor at micron.com
Wed Aug 22 21:17:40 BST 2001

Hello,

I've just started using KDevelop 2.0, and I like what I see.  I like a lot
of the changes you've added.  I do however have one bug and another
annoyance (nearly a bug) to report.  The bug is that in the Build menu, F8
is listed as the shortcut key both for compiling the current file and for
making the project.  However, F8 only appears to make the project rather
than compile the current file.

The annoyance, that I would almost consider a bug and is probably just due
to an oversight, is that when you select text, it places it in the same
"clipboard" buffer that gets pasted by ^V.  The problem with this is that it
is impossible to select text and then replace it with a previously copied
selection, because the buffer gets replaced with the current selection.
While I think it's nice that you have started to follow the X "standard" of
putting select text in a buffer for subsequent pasting, it may be better to
do something similar to what Xemacs and other programs do.  That is, place
selected text in a buffer that gets pasted when the middle mouse button is
pressed.  Place text that is selected and then copied (by ^C, etc.) into a
buffer that gets pasted when ^V is pressed, etc.  This way, you can take
advantage simple selection copying by selecting and then clicking the middle
mouse button, and you can also copy some text, select some other text and
then replace it by pasting the text using ^V.

Personally, I would rate the second problem higher than the first problem,
because I can simply go to the menu and compile the file, however, the
clipboard problem is much more of an annoyance, because I do a lot of
copying and pasting, and when you go between widgets/dialogs, etc., the text
of the textfield that you move into often gets automatically selected when
it gains focus.  This screws you over when you wanted to paste text into...
If this is a problem with the current implementation of the KDE libraries,
etc., and not KDevelop, then would you please be so kind as to forward this
on to whomever this should go.

Please let me know if you have any questions about either of these comments.
Please respond to me directly, as I am not subscribed to any of the mailing
lists.

Thanks again for a great tool!

Cheers,
Lyle Taylor