Getting involved HOWTO?

Tarjei Knapstad tarjeik at chemcon.no
Tue Aug 21 15:02:57 BST 2001

At the risk of losing friends, girlfriend, and basically having a life, I
thought I might spend even more of my time coding, and get (more or less)
invovled in the KDevelop project.

Some questions arise though:

1. Where can I find documentation on KDevelop?
I cashed out the KDE_2_2_BRANCH from CVS yesterday, and generated the
doxygen documentation which was far from complete. Another thing I sorely
miss is some documentation on the design (an UML diagram would be nice).

2. What needs to be done? Who currently works on what?
There should be a proper and up to date bug reporting/handling system on
the web site. (I've personally installed Mantis, mantisbt.sourceforge.net,
at the company where I'm currently employed...very nice, allthough I don't
know how easy it would be to migrate your existing database.) I sincerely
doubt (hope :-) that the bug stats at the homepage are up to date as some
bugs have lived for 560 days (!).

3. Which platforms/compilers should I work with?
I'm currently using RedHat 7.x and GCC 3.0.1 (as of today :)
Is this OK? Also, it should be sufficient to compile Qt, kdelibs, and
kdevelop with Gcc 3.0.x to get things working, right?

4. Is there any collection on the discussion regarding the "big plans" for
Gideon? I have some major suggestions that I will get back to later on.

5. Where/how should patches be posted/made?
(At least up until I might prove worthy of CVS write access... :)

If you could kindly answer my questions I'll get into some 2.0.1 fixing as
soon as possible. I'll start out with having a look at the "tree collapse"
problem which I reported last week.

Cheers,
--
Tarjei Knapstad, MSc