Documentation update unintuitive, and glimpse not working

Ralf Nolden nolden at kde.org
Mon Aug 20 08:15:27 BST 2001

On Monday, 20. August 2001 18:58, you wrote:
> Two things (no, three):
>
> (1) KDevelops functionality improved a lot - well done !!! (it seems,
> however, to be less stable than 1.4, but I'm confident this will improve
Yes, with 2.0.1 we think it will last for the next couple of month until HEAD
(gideon) is in a usable state.

> (2) For some reason, glimpse (I use version 4.14) does not work with
> KDevelop. (but it works perfectly when I use glimpseindex and glimpse
> manually).
Glimpse is very special because it is only permitted to be used
non-commercially. That is the reason htdig is used as an alternative since
two years and maybe the version of glimpse has changed the parameters. If you
have some time, could you have a closer look here and maybe send in a fix so
we can put that in the FAQ to use glimpse from your version up ?

An index is created by KDevelop, but it does not create hits; I
> tried
>
> 	glimpse -H <path to index> QFile'
>
> which yields:
>
> 	Your query may search about 25% of the total space! Continue? (y/n)  y
>
> but no hits are found. Same for
>
> 	glimse -H <path> -w -i qfile
>
> However, when I run glimpseindex manually, i.e.
>
> 	glimpseindex -H ~/.kde/share/apps/kdevelop~
> /.kde/share/apps/kdevelop/KDE-documentation
>
> some hits are obtained with
>
> 	glimpse -H <path> QFile
>
> Any idea what may go wrong ?
>
> (3) This is not really a bug, but I got caught already twice....
>
> In KDevelop -> KDevelop setup -> Documentation, under Update, one has to
> finally leave the dialog with "Cancel", which is somewhat intuituve. I
> found myself hitting "Create" although I had created the documentation just
> before. It would be nice to have "Done" instead of cancel.
>
> The same applies to "Create search database". If I understood it correctly,
> one has to type "Ok" first, then "Cancel".
>
> In my case the creation of the index went somehow unseen because I had the
> output window invisible. It would be nice to have a separate window with a
> "DONE" button open with the output as for "Create" documentation.
Yes, that is a very valid argument. It should be changed to the way that the
dialog stays top-level like the setup wizard is until the documentation
generation is finished. This will be changed in 3.0.

> Pascal
>

> -
> kdevelop-request at kdevelop.org with the following body: unsubscribe
> »your-email-address«

Ralf Nolden
nolden at kde.org

The K Desktop Environment	The KDevelop Project
http://www.kde.org		http://www.kdevelop.org