Crash when during build

Julian Rockey linux at jrockey.com
Sat Aug 18 06:26:55 BST 2001

I've just investigated a KDevelop crash I was experiencing during the build
process.

Anyone know of a possible bug in QMultiLineEdit in QT2.3.1?

I figured (a) all KDevelop is doing during the build process is catching
output from KShellProcess and writing it to the QT message widget and I
noticed (b) the crash seemed to occur when a long line (g++ etc. etc) was
output to the message box. So as an experiment I recompiled KDevelop adding
the following lines into the COutputWidget class constructor:

setWordWrap( WidgetWidth );
setWrapPolicy( Anywhere );

This causes the text to wrap in the message box. Result: no crash (and the
crash had been consistent before. Even after a straight re-compile.)

So if anyone else is experiencing a similar problem and don't mind wrapped
text they might want to try this.

The crash happened with KDevelop 2.0 and KDevelop 1.4.1, running on either
KDE2.2 or KDE2.1.2. So QT is definitely high on my list of suspects.