Working fast with KDevelop?

Meinhard Ritscher unreachable at gmx.net
Mon Aug 6 12:11:58 BST 2001

Hi,

On Fri, 03 Aug 2001 12:02:36 +0200, F at lk Brettschneider wrote:

>> Ctrl-F is not the same as incremental search. Incremental search is a
>> real cool feature in EMACS and MS Visual C++; it enables you to find a
>> word by pressing the least number of keys possible
>I know it from Emacs and to my mind it's no good because you always jump
>to wrong words first before finding the right one. That is a crazy
>annoying jumping in the file.

When I started using emacs I didn't like it but now find it most
invaluable. We exclusivly using emacs at work so I had to give up on my
beloved nedit (www.nedit.org). And recently I discovered that even in
nedit, you can have an incremental search. The good thing about it is,
that you can search for something, you don't really know the full word
much more easily.

>>and in addition it
>> appears in the status bar so that no window obscures the screen.
>The statusbar is for showing status information not for typing words in.
Nedit lets you switch on a seperate line and in emaxs it's not really
the status bar but the mini buffer below the status bar.

What I find easiest to use in Nedit is moving of blocks. You just press
the CTRL key when selecting and the selection will be a block rather
than a selection of lines. Moving this block is quite easy too.
I know you can do it with KDevelop but the handling is a bit more
difficult. (and I still havn't figured out the command for doing this
with emacs but have been told it's possible)

Meinhard