simple C++

Jeffrey Stephens jsteve17 at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Oct 7 02:36:43 BST 2000

Your thanks are appreciated.  One more plug for "gide".  Kdevelop, I think, is way
to complex and bloated for what, in my understanding, you need.  If you really
want a fancy IDE with all the bells and whistles I would suggest C-Forge. You can
get it at www.codeforge.com.  I've tried about every IDE for Linux there is and
this one is, in my opinion, the best.  It's a commercial product, but they offer a
free version that is limited to 200 files per project and doesn't include a few of
the bells/whistles.  C-Forge has an excellent and mercifully short tutorial for C
that will get you up and working in 5 or 10 minutes.

Having said this I still recommend gide for students learning C.  The one thing
all these 'Project' oriented IDEs suffer from is that they are designed to be used
with large efforts.  A large program still only has one 'main' function.
Therefore, every time you code a new program you have to define a new Project
because a project only contains a single 'main'.  The amount of overhead in
clicking and typing to create a new project just to type in a small program is
irksome to say the least.

Gide is a simple editor with auto indent and highlighting for C. From it's
pulldown menu you can automatically compile and run your program.  It is
configurable so you can send the output to a terminal window.  The terminal window
pops up when you run the program so you can type in any info the program needs.
It's simple and easy to use.  The major IDEs are such that you could write a whole
book on how to use their features.  This probably isn't what you want for students
learning to program.

Regards,

Jeff Stephens